2017 DSA Convention
The Democratic Socialists of America's 2017 convention, the largest in history, will be in Chicago this year from August 3 through 6. East Bay DSA is sending 24 delegates to represent our more than 600 members.
As a national organization, DSA holds conventions every two years to debate the important political and structural issues pertinent to our organization and our movement. We in East Bay DSA have elected 24 delegates who will be voting on the following issues.
As we get closer to the convention, the amendments and proposals on which your delegates will be voting are being finalized and released. Here we will provide you with a timeline of what to expect and when. We'll update this page as more info becomes available so members and delegates can stay informed.
DSA Convention Delegate Resources
If you're attending this year's convention, here's almost everything you need to know. (East Bay DSA has no official position on deep-dish pizza.)
DSA Convention Procedures
- Amendments: All amendments to the DSA constitution are released through convention bulletins. See the final list of amendments.
- Priorities resolutions: Priorities resolutions will be released to delegates via a virtual conference on July 15. We'll update this page with those resolutions as soon as we can. (Priorities resolutions from the previous convention are also available.)
- Political resolutions: Political resolutions were released on July 26 (unofficial copy here).
- NPC Candidates: See the list of candidates for the National Political Committee (NPC).
DSA Convention Issues
Delegates should be familiar with these issues in order to debate these issues at the convention.
Note that this list is not exhaustive. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with other perspectives you would like to include here.
- Dues Reform Amendment (Sean Monahan)
- Why a dues resolution? (Sean Monahan)
- In Favor of the Dues Proposal (Robbie Nelson)
- Against the Dues Proposal (Joey Kellner, Katie Harper, Ahmed Kanna, Trevor Jackson, Dan Deck, and B. Cohen)
- Dues Kickbacks: We Need Solidarity, not Local Fragmentation (Jeremy Gong)
Withdrawing from Socialist International
- The DSA Has a Future Outside of the Socialist International (Medium, Ella Mahony)
- No Valid Reason for DSA to Leave the Socialist International (Medium, pplswar)
Boycott, Divestment, Sanction (BDS) Movement
- In Solidarity with the Struggle for Justice in Palestine (DSA Left Caucus)
- A First Step Towards a Peace Process (DSA National Political Committee)
March on Washington
- We Need a Medicare for All March on Washington (Jacobin)
- Marching Nowhere
- Marching to Single Payer, Onward to Socialism (Melissa Naschek, Philadelphia DSA)
- Don't March, Organize for Power (Jacobin)
- The Long March (Jacobin)
- Statement on March on Washington (Jeremy Gong, East Bay DSA)
Slates, Network, and Platform
Support Our Delegates
Not attending, but want to help us get our delegates to Chicago? Donate to our fundraiser!