East Bay DSA takes the public health and safety of our community seriously. The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 (commonly referred to as “coronavirus”) to be a global pandemic, and medical professionals are suggesting that it is crucial to flatten the curve to prevent our already-vulnerable medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed. Although we are not doctors, we do have some info from health authorities that suggests we should be taking precautions.
In light of all of this:
- We are closing the East Bay DSA office this week and next, and will consider re-opening on a week-by-week basis. We must be diligent about cleaning and sanitizing the space in the wake of COVID-19.
- All office phonebanking and activity will now happen remotely.
- Committee chairs and event organizers will either postpone, cancel or host meetings and events via video call. If you are planning on attending an event and have not heard any updates, please email email@example.com.
We recommending the following:
- If you’ve been in contact with the virus and attended an East Bay DSA event within the last 2 weeks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform our leadership, please include the date and name of the meeting you attended.
- Please take all precautions as you move throughout your daily life - practice social distancing and stay 6’ away from each other, wash and/or sanitize your hands frequently, do not touch your face, stay inside if you have had a fever in the last 10 days.
- If you are in a population determined to be at higher risk (over the age of 60 or immuno-compromised), please take extra precautions.
We also recognize that this pandemic and following global economic upheaval will have a devastating impact on the international working class and particularly the most marginalized amongst us. This is a health crisis accelerated by decades of neo-liberalism, and xenophobic policies. With many occupations and sectors of the economy shutting down and no safety net, universal child care or health care; no restrictions on evictions or rent increases, and public transit at risk, we must organize to protect the working class in what will probably be a historical economic and social disaster. We will send an update about actions you can take ASAP.
The National Political Committee has released a statement, which is in support of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, including federal funding for free coronavirus testing for all and paid emergency leave and Medicare for All. The statement also includes organizing recommendations for chapter members, and support for 3 additional demands:
- An emergency moratorium on evictions and on utility shut-offs until the crisis abates.
- Phasing out domestic oil production and introducing aggressive Green New Deal legislation to create millions of green union jobs instead of bailing out big oil.
- A nationwide end to cash bail and a moratorium on deportations.
If you have any questions or concerns about this, please email email@example.com
Now is the time for solidarity,
East Bay DSA Steering Committee