Jovanka is a corporate money free democratic socialist who will fight with us to get Medicare For All
- Statement about: Jovanka Beckles
- For these candidates: I support a strong endorsement with a commitment to "boots on the ground" support from DSA.
- Summary: Let's endorse Jovanka because she is a corporate money free democratic socialist who will fight with us to get Medicare For All
Written by East Bay DSA member Eric Broder
Healthy California Act SB 562 was blocked in the State Assembly by Corporate Democrats who represent health insurance companies instead of people. The solution is for us to transform the Assembly so it represents working people and not just the top 1%. Jovanka Beckles is a corporate money free democratic socialist who will not just vote but also fight hard with us to get Medicare For All in California and throughout the country.
Just like Bernie did in Vermont, Jovanka is part of a non-partisan grassroots progressive coalition in Richmond that fights corporate power and corruption in both major parties. The Richmond Progressive Alliance has achieved many victories for working people and successfully defeated Chevron despite millions of dollars of opposition. They accomplished this by focusing on people power and grassroots organizing. Jovanka/RPA accomplishments include:
- Passed first rent control law in CA in 30 years
- Raised minimum wage
- Banned the box so people with felony convictions can apply for jobs fairly
- Created Municipal ID Program that allows immigrants to safely identify themselves
- Increased environmental regulation and corporate taxes after beating Chevron funded candidates at ballot box
- Supermajority control of Richmond City Council in hands of RPA members
We should be involved in electoral politics when it is strategically important for our mission. Given our focus on Healthy California Act and the failure of the Assembly to do their job, it is important we make sure the next Assemblymember for District 15 is a real fighter for Medicare For All and not just another Corporate Democrat.
Right now the candidate in race who leads in fundraising is Buffy Wicks, the California state director for Hillary 2016 - a disastrous campaign that defeated Bernie and lost to Trump. She moved to the district recently and has never held elected office, but she is raising a lot of money and will be advertising heavily.
Jovanka was a strong supporter of Bernie 2016 and is endorsed by Our Revolution. She will work with DSA, RPA, and in our communities just as she has in Richmond to fight for Single Payer, tenants, unions, and students. Jovanka understands that the best way to fight back against corporate power is with people power and that’s what she has been doing for a long time. She will be an outstanding representative for working people in the Assembly.
The statement above is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily represent the opinions of East Bay DSA, its local council, or its members.